So... how many of you have heard of Inbound, a huge marketing conference put on by HubSpot? Honestly, I hadn't heard of it until one of my dear clients decided to send me to Boston, MA to go check it out. 14,000 people from around the world (literally) gathered for 4 days to take in 200 speakers, hours of content marketing tips, and learn from some of the top industry leaders in marketing, design and content creation.
After the opening keynote, each day has a list of about 40 different speakers to choose from, and only 5-6 breakout slots to fill your day... I'm telling you, it's crazy! Although there were so many options to choose from, I was able to pack my day full of sessions that either related to design and brand messaging or over all marketing strategy to grow your business. I plan on sharing some tidbits from these sessions with you, over the next couple of months, in hope that is becomes helpful knowledge to you as well.
Man oh man, not only is he hilarious in a very dry and witty way, but he has years of experience, and is full of wisdom and truth when it comes to viral marketing. He talked a lot about ethics and integerity when it comes to this world of take, take, take, consume, consume, consume, post, post, post. I recommend listening to his podcast, not only to laugh, but also to grow and be challenged.
Here a few takeaways I jotted down, which are also worth sharing :
FOLLOWERS /LIKES/GOING VIRAL
- You want the RIGHT views/followers - numbers don’t matter
- Find the RIGHT views/followers, which platforms is your audience on?
- Viral = EVOKING EMOTION (funny, heartfelt, unexpected, etc.) which means people
REACT or share it. People SHARE emotion
- Viral/Going Viral means nothing unless it’s effecting your bottom line/costumer base
MARKETING ETHICS/CONTENT THEFT
- When you aren’t giving credit, you are taking credit (photos, quotes, content)
- Integrity is NOT a renewable resource, once it’s compromised you don’t get it back,
SO give credit where credit is due on the content that you are posting about and sharing
- Don’t be the FIRST to put content out, be RIGHT first
- Always think : “Is what I’m about to do going to be worth it” integrity wise,
will my “comments” shut someone or some business down
- Market to others, the way you want to be marketed to