I stumbled across this great article by Mary Stribley on composition as a designer. Im sharing just a bit here to wet your appetite...
" You could have the most beautiful graphic elements in the world, but if your composition isn’t up to scratch, all of that goes out the window.
So, it’s safe to say that composition is pretty important. So, what exactly is a composition? Well, in very simple terms, it’s the part where all the separate elements come together to form a whole. When all of your type, your images, your graphics and colors, come together to form one cohesive design.
A successful composition means that you have arranged, distributed, aligned and compiled your design in a way that not only looks good but is also highly functional and effective. So, let’s run over a few tips, tricks and techniques that will have you mastering composition in no time. "
1. Find Your Focus :: Just like we were all told in school, having focus is a very important thing. A key element to any good composition is a strong focal point, as it helps your viewers’ eyes naturally settle on the important pieces of your design first.
2. Direct the Eye With Leading Lines :: Just like you point at something when you want people to look at it, by positioning certain lines and shapes in certain ways you can control the viewpoint of your design, aka where viewers’ eyes go when they see your design.
3. Scale and Hierarchy :: Scale and visual hierarchy are some of those creative fundamentals that can really make or break your designs, so it’s important to have a good hold on them to maintain a successful composition.
4. Balance Out Your Elements :: Balance is a pretty important thing in many regards, and your designs are absolutely no exception. But how do we strike that perfect balance within our designs? Well, let’s run over two common types of balance and how to master it.
5. Use Elements That Complement Each Other :: You’ve heard of complementary colors, but what about complementary design elements? One key element to a successful and effective composition is taking the time to carefully and purposefully select each element of your design so that each part complements the whole.
To read the full details of her 10 rules of composition CLICK HERE !